On 11/28/2012 10:17 AM, Bastian wrote:
Have you tried to set the Style MinPlaceOverlap to subjected window and
then call PlaceAgain on it?

This works for me:

DestroyFunc movetofreeplace
AddToFunc movetofreeplace
+ I WindowStyle MinOverlapPlacement
+ I PlaceAgain

First please do not top post (read the rules of the mailing list).

The problem with this method is that it will find the first available free (or min overlap) region it can place the window. If there are multiple rectangles on the screen that are free of windows it will always pick the first one it finds (not the biggest rectangle). So though it was a suggestion to look at there is really no nice way I can see to mix it to be able to grow a window to fit in the biggest possible rectangle it can find.

A FvwmPerl script will end up being the the best way I can think of to first find the biggest free rectangle and then to move/resize the window to fit in that rectangle. The hard part will be the problem of finding the biggest open rectangle (this is a logic/math problem). Once you have that it is fairly straight forward to move the window to that rectangle and maximize grow grow (or just resize it) to the right size.

jaimos