Hi,

I would like to make a function that suspends the corresponding process
when I iconify a window and unsuspends it when I uniconify the window.

Particularly, I want to (un-)suspend seamonkey with this (because it
uses ridiculous amounts of CPU time and memory the latter of which might
be swapped out more easily when the process is suspended than when it is
not).

The kill command works nicely for it, i. e. 'kill -STOP <PID of
process>' and 'kill -CONT <PID of process>' work fine.

I googled for a solution and found some suggestions as to obtain the
process ID, yet none of them seemed to work.  Since seamonkey is usually
started through fvwm with a starter function, I might be able to obtain
the PID when starting it and use that.  However, this approach would be
somewhat limited.

What might be the best way to make a general function to suspend and
unsuspend processes when their windows are iconified and uniconified,
respectively?

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.