Hi Rainer,

Am Do den 18. Feb 2021 um 11:57 schrieb Dr Rainer Woitok:
> On Thursday, 2021-02-18 10:44:03 +0100, you wrote:

> > Both just get the current visible desktop; with all windows ans other
> > stuff that is ontop of the root window.
>
> That's something you can do with "xwd":
>
>    $ xwd -root | convert xwd:- file.png

I already tried that but it only gives me the current desktop with all
windows above the background.

> > I want to get the content of the root window itself; the one that was
> > set by display/xsetbg or others.
>
> Hmmm,  must be burried somewhere  in your personal X11 configuration ...
> sorry, no idea.

Well, you misunderstood. I know, where the image is coming from. But I
want to readout the image from the current state to use it, for example,
as pseudo transparency or to draw something additional on the root
image.

Regards
   Klaus
--