Lucio Chiappetti wrote (Sat, May 13, 2023 at 11:44:36PM +0200):
> I am since ages a keen fvwm user (2.6.8 bundled with ubuntu), mostly on a
> desktop PC, with a personal configuration described in
> http://sax.iasf-milano.inaf.it/~lucio/WWW/Opinions/window.html.
>
> In particular (independently of fvwm ?) I am used to do quick copy-and-paste
> of text selecting it with mouse button 1 (MB1) and pasting with mouse button
> 2 (MB2). Or shift-MB1 and shift-MB2 in my favourite editor (The Hessling
> Editor), due to a peculiarity of the editor.
>
> Now I've got a new HP Probook laptop which has a touchpad without buttons.
> Apparently tapping near the bottom left and bottom right corners of the
> touchpad works as MB1 and MB3 ... but there is no MB2.

You mention your laptop is new, so it is likely that the touchpad supports
multitouch and other goodies.

It should be possible to configure the touchpad itself to send, for example,
MB2 on a two finger tap. The exact details would depend on the driver Ubuntu
uses for the touchpad. I believe common options are the Synaptics driver and
libinput (probably the correct, "modern" option).

I don't clearly understand all details, but here's some output I get on my
laptop that might give you an idea about what to expect.

latitude3490$ xinput
⎡ Virtual core pointer                          id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ DELL0839:00 044E:120A Touchpad            id=12   [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint                  id=18   [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ DELL0839:00 044E:120A Mouse               id=11   [slave  pointer  (2)]

And then, for more detail:

xinput list --long 12 # 12 is the device id for the touchpad

DELL0839:00 044E:120A Touchpad                  id=12   [slave  pointer  (2)]
        Reporting 7 classes:
                Class originated from: 12. Type: XIButtonClass
                Buttons supported: 7
                Button labels: "Button Left" "Button Middle" "Button Right"
"Button Wheel Up" "Button Wheel Down" "Button Horiz Wheel Left" "Button Horiz
Wheel Right"

HTH.