--- "Thomas A. Horsley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I (sorta) like enabling programs to use the "program position" to say
> where
> they think they should go, but when they go in some completely wacked
> out
> location, I don't like it :-).

That's why most of us mortals just tell the window manager to ignore
PPosition hints.  :)

> Is there some way to tell fvwm "use the PPosition, but if that would
> put any
> part of the window or window decorations off the screen, then adjust
> it by
> the smallest amount to make the window be entirely on the screen"? (I
> suppose it would need the additional check that the window is small
> enough
> to fit on the screen at all, otherwise it might have a hard time
> coming up
> with a valid amount to adjust it :-).

Not easily, as such information is never present before the window is
made visible.  Your best bet is to use your own geometry definitions
(where you can).  It has been my experience anyway, that most PPosition
applications to do an "OK" job (for some value of "OK") at remembering
their position, anyway.

-- Thomas Adam