Felix Karpfen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> No flames please.  Just be patient with a chicken-hearted Newbie.
>
> I downloaded, unpacked and configured fvwm-2.4.6.  Before going ahead
> with the install, I read the README file (fortunately).  It said:
> -------
> Generally, you should run:
>
>   ./configure   # for full list of options, run: ./configure --help
>   make
>   make install  # as a user with proper file system permissions
>
> It is very important to make the last step (make install) to ensure that
> FVWM works properly.
> --------
> Do I really run "make install" as user, or do I run it as root and set
> up the file system permissions afterwards.

I believe by default it will attempt to install in /usr/local.
If you have to be root to write there, then do the install as root.
You can configure with --prefix=somedirectory and if you can write
in that directory, you don't have to be root.

> And - while having the attention of an fvwm guru - what other readings are
> an absolute "must" before I attempt to configure and use the downloaded
> program.

After configure runs it produces a setting of important options it
detected, you should review them to make sure they are what you want.

You might want to make sure you build in the location of your icons
so you don't need to put ImagePath in your .fvwm2rc.

--
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214      Phone: (732) 699-5570