Hi there,

On 20 Aug 2003 at 20:10:36 +0200, Felix E. Klee wrote:

> Is there any chance that the FVWM project participates in
> this event?  Note that the FVWM web site doesn't need to
> be closed down completely.  On
> http://swpat.ffii.org/gruppe/demo/index.de.html there are
> several examples on how it's possible to show ones
> concerns without taking such drastic measures, but there's
> no need to stick to the examples.
>
> Just as a quick reminder: Many trivial things are already
> patented in the US such as tabbed palettes
> (http://swpat.ffii.org/patente/
> wirkungen/palette/index.en.html) which e.g. FVWMTabs is
> infringing upon.  I for one don't want to have the same
> situation in Europe and fear that it will ultimately kill
> the competitiveness of Free Software. So this protest is
> likely to be our last chance to somewhat influence the
> decision making process.

I really like if we support this demo. IMO software  patents
are  a serious thing which effects developing free software.
Past examples as gif or even the  current  discussion  about
the  linux  kernel  show what software patents and copyright
issues can cause.

As seen software patents lead to the situation that only big
companies,  I don't want so say any names, can afford to use
certain patented  ideas,  algorithm  or  methods.  Companies
which  have  the money will buy patents and others will have
to pay them for that.

Having our web site not available for one day for that  good
reason is really worth it.

If nobody minds I could make  the  web  site  to  be  closed
completly  (all  pages  will not work even direct links like
www.fvwm.org/documentation/manpages), closed partialy  (only
the  entry  site will not work) or I could place a statement
about software patents on each page for that day.

Cheers, Uwe