On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 11:46:38 -0400 Dan Espen wrote:
> > Mario, can you explain this?
>
> I'm not Mario, but I can offer a theory.
>
> When I ran it I evaluated it in the scratch buffer.
> It didn't seem to be growing very fast.
>
> Since there is a print in there, I think the memory was
> space in the output buffer for the printing.

But the printing is going to the *Messages* buffer whose number of
lines is limited.

Well, I wonder whether what I wrote is actually right. I just ran the
expression again and I couldn't see it filling up memory. Here's my
theory of what happened (I don't recall it exactly anymore):

1. I started evaluation of the expression in the *scratch* buffer. This
   takes up a lot of system time which I don't realize since I only
   perform simple tasks like checking email.
2. After an hour or so Sylpheed Claws crashes due to some internal
   error.
3. Trying to start diagnostics applications I suddenly realize that the
   system behaves sluggish. So thinking that the purpose of Mario's
   expression was to fill up memory, I enter EMACS, and hit C-g. Now
   everything seems to be OK because it doesn't use up CPU time anymore.

Maybe I didn't really look carefully at the memory display of xosview
and the memory wasn't really filled up. Maybe the memory was really
filled up (I recently discovered that my kernel has a memory leak) and I
didn't realize that it stayed that way after hitting C-g. I don't know.

Sorry for the confusion.

Felix

--
To contact me in private don't reply but send mail to
    felix DOT klee AT inka DOT de