Hey gang,

<OT>
Just checking my email while up at Whistler, BC plowing up the powder.
Naturally, I should be relaxing in the hot tub before heading out for
a night on the town and getting up early tomorrow to play in the
goodness that is coming down right now.

However, I deceided to waste some of my highly overpriced Internet
minutes on a quick comment in support of the mailing list.
</OT>

There may, indeed, be benefits to the forums, but as someone pointed
out, it all boils down to personal preference. We can spend a lot of
time debating the pros and cons of each system, but I doubt that we
will be able to reach a consensus (just as people won't reach a
consesus on what is the best WM ... although in that case we are right
and the rest simply dead wrong ;-) ).

On Sun, Jan 29, 2006 at 11:39:20AM +0000, seventh guardian wrote:
> The lists are already separated in two subjects, "general" and
> "development", and it indeed helps us to organize things. But I
> believe that having a forum would help to further organize things. For

Personally, I highly doubt that. Not because I'm a sociology prof and
have conducted extensive research on the topic. No, because personally
I never look for information in sections. In the occations that I need
something in a forum, I use a search function. See; again we fall into
the pit of personal preference.

But many ML archivers also have archivers and members on some lists
conciously make subject headings with clever keywords for archiving
purposes.

> That way if someone wants to help he wouldn't need to scroll thru lots
> of incomming mails to find the one that says "how do I do this" mixed
> up with "please add that feature" and "cvs migo".

But if you are interested in helping out people with a variety of
problems or questions, you would be bothered by having to look in many
different sections.

> I currently use gmail, and it really helps to filter things out. But
> it's still difficult, so I can only imagine the trouble it is now for
> those with "less robust" mail tools. Or worst, for the devs..

I'm using mutt. I have no problems. Perhaps the problem is with your
MUA? (No offense. Really.)

> Currently "fvwm lair" has a great forum, wich could be used for this.
> This is my suggestion, please feel free to criticize (constructivelly

If the forum is so great then letting everyone know that it exists
should be enough. I think (most) everyone on this list knows that the
forums exist and so, the fact that the list is still in use stands as
a sign that people still prefer it over the forums (just as the forum
users prefer it over the list).

If there is a demand for a list (as I believe there is) there is no
need to kill it.

Take care,
Martin

PS. I've long been mening to ask who is in charge of the mailing list.
I was searching for the archive some time back and found nothing. I'd
really like to see this done properly and would be willing to help ...
after I get back from skiiing ;-).

PPS. The issue of the Gentoo forums came up. I hate the Gentoo forums.
I used to use FreeBSD and loved their lists. I find the Gentoo forum
search function less useful than searching the FreeBSD archives and
used to help when I could on the list. I've only occationally went
into the forums with the intent of answering some questions.