On 1/15/06, Dominik Vogt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 05:47:03PM -0600, Jonathan Kotta wrote:
> > I realize that xcompmgr is not supposed to be stable, but it's so
> > close, and so nice. I don't use the shadows, just transparency.  It's
> > useful to look through a window I'm typing in to see information in
> > the window beneath it.  I've been using it for a couple of weeks, and
> > I've found these problems:
> >
> > - Text display in Motif apps is buggy (OK, I only have one that I really
> > use)
>
> > - Shading with multiple steps is buggy (OK, just use steps = 0)
>
> I don't think I'm going to fix this one.  It's been very tedious
> to do it right without the new features :-/
>
> > - Edges stop working after xcompmgr is started/stopped (OK, just restart
> > FVWM)
> > - icons (Not OK, read on)
>
> > Symptoms:
> > Xorg and fvwm use a lot of CPU.  Sometimes X uses more, sometimes
> > fvwm.  xcompmgr sometimes starts leaking memory at around 1 MB/sec.
>
> This can happen if an application receives messages from the X
> server faster than it can process them.
>
> > Steps to reproduce:
> > Run FVWM with a null config.  Open an app, iconify it, and somehow
> > remove the icon from view.  The apps I was able to reproduce the
> > problem with were the GIMP, GQView, gnome-terminal, Firefox, and
> > FrostWire.  I think the common trait is that all of them supply an
> > icon pixmap.  It doesn't matter if a window is moved over the icon or
> > if the window is already over where the icon appears (icons are
> > automatically lowered).  It seems that the icon has to be completely
> > covered.  It happens even if you move to a different page.  I've tried
> > using twm to reproduce the error, no go.
> >
> > Fixes:
> > Kill xcompmgr, the iconified app, or uncover the icon.
> >
> > If anyone has encountered this icon problem too, let me know so I know
> > it's not just my system.  I'm using FVWM 2.5.14, Xorg 6.8.2, xcompmgr
> > from cvs, Ubuntu Breezy, and nVidia drivers 1.0-8178.
>
> I'd love to debug this problem, but I'm still stuck with XFree.
>
> Ciao
>
> Dominik ^_^  ^_^
>
>  --
> Dominik Vogt, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

So I decided to play with this again a couple of days ago.  I messed
with various Icon styles, and found that the problem goes away if I do
"Style * NoIconTitle".  I've been running xcompmgr for a few days now,
and it's as stable as can be hoped for.

--
Thanks,

Jonathan Kotta

Hofstadter's Law:
    It always takes longer than you expect, even
    when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.