I think you'll find this to be an issue with GTK as opposed to FVWM
mishandling anything.

It's possible, but my concern is why things work as expected in other
window managers. For what it's worth, here is some additional xprop
information.

App as opened in fullscreen mode:
http://www.theskyiscrape.com/scott/fullscreen.txt
App after toggling fullscreen and when (incorrectly) in maximized mode:
http://www.theskyiscrape.com/scott/maximized.txt
App after toggled back into fullscreen and out, such that it is now
the correct size:
http://www.theskyiscrape.com/scott/correct.txt

I'm not an expert but these results seem weird. Maximized.txt says
that it is still in fullscreen, if I'm reading this correctly? Yet the
fvwm window decorations are visible and everything..

Confused,
Scott