On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 12:52:41 -0400 (EDT) [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> All:
>
> I just installed Fedora Core 5, and am now seeing strange behavior.
>
> When starting the X session with 'startx', things are fine.
>
> When I log in through XDM, I see the following:
>
> [FVWM][Read]: <<ERROR>> file
> '$[FVWM_DATADIR]/.fvwm/conf.d/fvwm2rc.functions' not found in
> /root/.fvwm or /usr/share/fvwm
> [FVWM][Read]: <<ERROR>> file
> '$[FVWM_DATADIR]/.fvwm/conf.d/fvwm2rc.pager' not found in /root/.fvwm
> [FVWM][Read]: <<ERROR>> file
> '$[FVWM_DATADIR]/.fvwm/conf.d/fvwm2rc.menu' not found in /root/.fvwm or
> /usr/share/fvwm

Well, look here:

http://fvwmwiki.org/GeneralConfigGuideLines

You'll see there that I've wrote:

"Each user can have their own .fvwm2rc file, which is in their home
directory. This file can either directly under the home directory, or it
can be in the ~/.fvwm. Note that as of FVWM 2.5.X, FVWM searches for its
config file in the following locations, in order of preference. As soon
as it finds one of them in that order, it stops looking:

$HOME/.fvwm/config
[INSTALL_PREFIX]/share/fvwm/config
$HOME/.fvwm/.fvwm2rc $HOME/.fvwm2rc
[INSTALL_PREFIX]/share fvwm/.fvwm2rc
[INSTALL_PREFIX]/share/fvwm/system.fvwm2rc /etc/system.fvwm2rc"

So what you should do is traverse that list in order to see which if the
files exists first and hence which config FVWM is most likely reading.
By the looks of the error message, I am assuming that maybe (at a guess
from what I know of DeadRat) the prefix it's looking for is /etc/X11 --
for years, RH used to put FVWM configuration there.

> FVWM_DATADIR is defined as /usr/share/fvwm.  This worked fine before
> upgrading to FC5.
>
> Is the problem with FVWM or something else?  I'm at a loss...

I'd have said it was more a problem of this package.  Certainly
the '.fvwm/conf.d/fvwm2rc.menu' part of suggests that it should be using
FVWM_USERDIR as the prefix since .fvwm is typically found in one's
$HOME.  At a further guess, the filename indications are familiar to the
old AnotherLevel package.  Is this what you're using?

-- Thomas Adam

--
ThisWindow (thomas_adam) Destroy