Hello All.

I got a question about "EWMH Window Type Dialog" windows. As far as I
understand, these are supposed to be modal (transient) windows.

Does FVWM look at this hint and treat these windows in some special
way?

And anyway, how do I create a complex function that only matches
windows with this EWMH hint and performs an action on them, such as
makes the decor transient? (I already have a custom function for that
which among other things makes windows non-maximizable and
non-iconifiable.)

I'm no programmer, so I'm having difficulties envisioning how this
function should work in general. I realize it will probably rely on
PipeRead, right?

So far all I could come up with is creating a variable e.g.
WINDOW_TYPE and testing if a window has the "EWMH Window Type Dialog"
hint: `xprop -id $[w.id] | grep DIALOG | cut -c49-90`

(I'm writing from memory, so the numbers in the argument of "cut" are
not necessarily true, but the variable will return DIALOG if a window
has the hint I'm interested in.)

However, I'm stuck at this point. Is using xprop the way to go, or is
there an easier way? If it's OK, how do I integrate this xprop stuff
into a complex function?

Any pointers, including man references, links and working code
snippets are very appreciated. Thanks.

--
WBR,
Andrei Popov