On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 04:03:38AM -0700, cisco4ng wrote:
> Hi,
> I have scripts to automate the firewall building process.  First the
> firewall is installed with IPSO 3.5FCS14 mannually from boot manager.
> After that, it is run through scripts to upgrade to IPSO 3.7.1 build 004
> and Checkpoint NG FP3.  I actually saw this message from the console
> output during the upgrade:
>
> Checking if bootmgr upgrade is needed...
> Forcing upgrade of bootmgr as instructed.
> Upgrading bootmgr
>
> don't know why it still didn't upgrade the boot manager.

And nothing else? Checking further through the code you should see:

Saving old bootmgr.

and then:

Installing new bootmgr.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to give a "Bootmgr successfully ..." type
message though its pretty good at giving error messages otherwise.

It uses "dd" to transfer the files around, and detects errors with this in
the usual way (ie return code != 0), so if you didn't see:

Disk errors encountered.
Upgrade unsuccessful.

Either your 3.7.1 ipso.tgz image has some odd files in it, or the 650's
bootflash is being weird. THis is assuming your version of newimage is
similar to mine and of course, that no-one did anything strange to "dd".

I'd recommend a newer IPSO 3.7.1 build (013 works here).
Why do you use 3.5 as the initial build? If you're doing it manually to
begin with you can put a more modern build on, and have your build script
do:

#!/bin/sh
# Get current OS version (you get something like 3.7.1-BUILD004 here)
os=`uname -r | awk -F "-" '{print $1}'`;

# If its not 3.7.1, "upgrade" OS version.
# install_tmp is of course the path to your install files...

if [ "X$os" != "X3.7.1" ]; then
        newimage -k -b -R -l $install_tmp/ipso.tgz
fi
# Now script installing checkpoint newpkg etc...

Of course, all random scripts offered with humility but no guarentee of
functionality, appropriateness, or whether it will nuke your box and turn
your nearest co-worker into a chicken...

                Smaff

--
You happen to be here, now.