Hi,

I'm trying to set a site-to-site VPN between CheckPoint VPN-1 NGX on
SPLAT and a FortiGate 60 device.

The VPN-1 has a public IP address while the Fortigate has a private
address and is hidden behind a broadband router with public IP address,
as described in the following chain.

NETWORK_A <-> VPN-1 <-> Internet <-> BB_ROUTER <-> Fortigate <->
NETWORK_B

Without any kind of inbound static NAT entries at the broadband router,
I'm able to rise the tunnel as long it's the FortiGate to take the first
step.

Test #1
With the tunnel up, the traffic sent from the Fortigate's vpn domain
(NETWORK_A) to the VPN-1's vpn domain (NETWORK_B) goes through the
tunnel and arrives at the VPN-1 noticing on the checkpoint logs a
"decrypt" entry. But the replies are not encrypted and sent back through
the tunnel. With a tcpdump on the tunnel endpoint interface of the VPN-1
is possible to see the SYNs arriving and the SYN-ACKs are generated but
not sent back. Because of this, some retransmissions of the SYNs are
made.

Test #2
With the tunnel up, the sent traffic from NETWORK_A to NETWORK_B is not
encrypted by the VPN-1 as expected. I see on the logs two entries
stating the "encryption failure reason (...) no valid SA" and
"encryption failure: no response from peer". The VPN-1 knows that it
should encrypt such traffic but is unable to accomplish.

I'm pretty sure that the tunnel is up at the FortiGate side, and I can
see the inbound and outbound SAs. On the VPN-1 I'm not so sure. When I
run "vpn tu" and list the IPSec SAs, I see both for inbound and
outbound, but the SmartView Monitor show no tunnels in "my community"
even though it counts 1 gateway to gateway tunnel in the status.

So, I am wondering if it's possible to have a VPN where one of the
gateways is behind a NAT device.

Best regards,

Pedro Boavida
Systems Engineer