On 9/30/06, Craig Webster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 30 Sep 2006, at 07:58, Pavel Shevaev wrote:
> I wonder if it's possible to have something similar for Zend
> Framework(and other PHP applications) as well.

PHP can use FastCGI as well. Here's an example of PHP/Lighty/FCGI:
   http://trac.lighttpd.net/trac/wiki/TutorialLighttpdAndPHP

Yes, thanks, i'm aware of that ;)

The question is how to preload some PHP code *before* any request
processing happens. AFAIK this how it happens in Rails(please correct
me if i'm wrong): they have FastCGI server written with Ruby and once
it's started it preloads(bootstraps) the most common items of the
Rails library, application model classes, configuration settings etc.

These fat server processes with preloaded application environment are
sitting in the memory waiting for requests to come and once they come
there's no IO penalty for loading Ruby code because it's already
loaded. The good thing is that since the server is written with Ruby
it's possible to specify exactly which files should be preloaded.
That's why i think they don't need any sort of opcode cache...

I think PHP applications could benefit of this approach as well and
the question remains - is it possible?

--
Best regards, Pavel