Hi all,

I'd prefer a more Java-like handling. There it's best practice not to throw server-exceptions straight through. You'll the server-exceptions in the server-routines. There you'll generate new client-exceptions, which are thrown to the client, so there is only one specific type of exceptions thrown from the server to the client.

In our way working with the ZF I use a way like catching db-exceptions in the source, handling them to avoid total errors (usage of backup-sources, retrying soap-queries and so on). If backup-variant also fails, I throw an Generic_Lymp_Exception, which will be caught in the bootstrap-file. With this, I'm able to show only the Exceptions I want to show - I don't want to show the content of any db-exceptions, so I throw another one, which will then displayed in an user-friendly way.

Matthias

Allard Buijze wrote:
Hi Ralf, all,

exception handling is a very difficult issue, where everyone has a
different opinion.

The most important thing you have to ask yourself is what you want to
do when an exception occurs. In the case of a database access related
exception, you could either display an error page, or access some
other (backup) datasource to get the data.

In de latter case, you'd want to catch the exception as early as
possible, because you want to continue the normal program flow after
retrieving your backup data.

In the first case, there will probably be as much opinions as
developers. You could catch the exceptions in your controller, prepare
an errorpage and diplay that one instead of the page you'd normally
show.

An alternative could be to catch *all* exceptions in your bootstrap
file and display a static error page (which is safer in case your ZF
is really messed up).

My opinion is that it is probably best to do both. Catch all
exceptions you expect in your controller and diplay an error view in
that case. All exceptions that are uncatched at bootstrap level will
then result in a nice error page (if you could even call an error page
"nice") to the user. Don't forget to log the error though, you'd
probably want to know what's wrong.

This is more or less how we do exception handling here at my project
at KLM (Royal Dutch Airlines).

With regards,

Allard Buijze