Ok, so I tried changing the __get method of the Zend_View_Abstract class to one I found here:
http://framework.zend.com/issues/browse/ZF-298
And not it works.

So, could someone explain to me what is going on exactly?
I mean, the Zend_View_Abstract code works fine using Zend Platform, yet chokes without it?

Lee.