1) Too many top level components.

Why are components like Zend_TimeSync and Zend_Measure being given top level
categories? Everything else so far seems to be categorized correctly, but
why are those two not under the Zend_Locale namespace?

Zend_Measure deserves its own top-level category. However, I wonder if Zend_Date couldn't be renamed Zend_Time, and Zend_TimeSync to Zend_Time_Sync.

2) A lack of focus

No offense to the authors that are building these components, but aren't
Form Helpers, an Ajax Helper, etc. more important than a Measure class, or a
TimeSync class that 1/100 developers would use? It seems like we are
building some components and devoting a lot of attention to areas that most
people will not need.

Looking at the amount of time invested, how many people will need a
Zend_Measure class as opposed to an easy way to build forms, or a simple ORM
component? However, it seems as though the latter components are being
pushed back and attention is being devoted to components with narrow use
cases.

Not all developers can or want to work on the same component at the same time. Zend Framework is an open source project, and there are different areas of interest and expertise. If you told Thomas that his measurement or time synchronization classes weren't useful but an Ajax helper was and he should get on it, it would probably result in him not contributing to either set of classes.

In other words, nothing is being pushed back--it's just that no one has stepped up to the plate with a good proposal and working code (that I know of). I would rather have people work on things they're passionate about.

FWIW, I do a lot with Zend Framework and JavaScript libraries, primarily Prototype and Scriptaculous, and I have never thought that Ajax helpers are particularly important to what I do. There's a good chance that I wouldn't even bother with them (I don't use the existing form helpers, either, to be honest).

-Matt