Hi,

Am Samstag, den 18.11.2006, 13:58 +0100 schrieb Thomas Weidner:
[...]
> Making 126 subclasses, one for every language, is a very bad design idea.

From the first look, yes, but from the second view maybe not. These
classes would be very, very small. Making Zend_Filter locale aware is
pretty hard to reach. You will have a big switch ... case-statement in
every filter function which is not the best I guess. Having classes with
a small footprint is maybe the better solution as in normal use-cases
just one class must be loaded.

> Why not making the filter locale aware ?

A locale-aware Zend_Filter-class seems to be pretty fat-weighted.
Remember the switch ... case.

> Exactly therefor we created the complete Zend_Locale classes bunch.
>
> Filter without locale only recognising a-z
> getAlpha($content);
>
> Filtering with locale recognising locale letters for example german
> including ä, ö, ü, ß
> getAlpha($content, $locale);

This would be possible.
We have Zend_Locale_Filter (or another name).
Zend_Filter::getAlpha($string, "de") now calls internally
Zend_Locale_Filter::singleton("de")->getAlpha($string) and returns the
value (we would need some hybrid of singleton and factory there, as
Zend_Locale_Filter would create, store and deliver the
Zend_Locale_Filter_<locale>-object). And no, I did not thought further
on saying "let's call it Zend_Locale_Filter" and I'm completely
unideological how to name it.
[...]

> There is a general approach for usage which should be used by all classes
> which want to be locale aware.
[...]

Greets, Lars
--
      "Kriterium des Wahren ist nicht seine unmittelbare
          Kommunizierbarkeit an jedermann"

name: Lars H. Strojny      web: http://strojny.net
street: Engelsstraße 23    blog: http://usrportage.de
city: D-51103 Köln         mail/jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
f-print: 1FD5 D8EE D996 8E3E 1417  328A 240F 17EB 0263 AC07