I guess this is going to be one of the most *important*/*interesting
*components
similar to Locale. We look forward to seeing this in the incubator.

Thanks for the initiative...

On 12/18/06, Andi Gutmans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi all,

I've been thinking for a while now to see if there are people interested
in
adding support for Office 2007 documents to framework. Thanks to the new
format being XML-based and apparently an open-standard it should be much
easier to pull-off than the previous binary Office formats. It's also
pretty
useful that Microsoft made available a compatibility plug-in for Office
2003
(http://tinyurl.com/y4eeye) which allows it to load the new XML-based
format.

Recently Maarten (cc'ed) posted some code which refers to some work he did
to create some basic Office 2007 Excel spreadsheet support. This reminded
me
of my interest in working on this subject.

Judging by the amount of work Alex has put into Zend_Pdf I must say that
this will definitely not be a small trivial amount of work. The Office
2007
formats are huge, and even if we limit what we support (like we did with
PDF), it will still be a large amount of work and will probably require
several contributors and a good sense for making decisions of what we
should
support and what not (the latter usually being the hard part :)

If any of you are interested, I suggest to join the
[EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list (please don't respond to
fw-general@)
so that we can try and see whether there's enough interest and enough
people
willing to contribute to making this happen. Let's start the discussion
only
on Tuesday so that interested developers have a chance to join the mailing
list prior to that.

Andi