Speaking stricky of the DB-side of things for a moment though,
shouldn't you be able to design an application using PDO (and SQLite)
and move your datasource to something like pgSQL or MySQL when
concurrency becomes an issue (with very little modification to your
code) ?

For the record, I have no experience with this, just speaking from
what i've read and how i understand it.