On Dec 18, 2006, at 10:57 AM, Richard Thomas wrote:

Thats just another file and class that needs to be loaded and parsed adding to the overall overhead.

As is right now to use the very basic features, registry, class loading and all require just a single file which is nice.

Zend.php already includes Zend/Exception.php. Line 25:

  require_once 'Zend/Exception.php';

I'm also not a fan of this new approach to throwing exceptions. One theme that comes up repeatedly in this list is that ZF is to provide an example of 'best practice programming' in PHP. By burying exception object construction inside some factory method, I think that sends a message that PHP's exception handling mechanisms are somehow flawed, and we need this rather unconventional approach to work around it.

The root of the problem seems to be the impact of parsing and including the various exception class files, and the performance issue with require_once on PHP versions prior to 5.2. But none of the exception subclasses anywhere in the framework actually do anything -- they only exist so that there are unique class names. So we've got dozens of essentially empty files that (potentially) must be parsed and included.

If we're worried about the performance impact of including all of these individual files, why not lump all of the exception classes, which again do nothing special, into one Zend/Exception.php file? Yes, this would go against the recommended coding standard of one class per file, but if there's no code in any of the classes, is that really that big a deal? Especially for exceptions...

--

Willie Alberty, Owner
Spenlen Media

http://www.spenlen.com/