I've been looking into this and have developed what could be called a
"stop-gap" version which validates against the recommended dot-atom
character set for email addresses.
http://framework.zend.com/issues/browse/ZF-42

After Gavin's comments I'm looking into Perl's Email::Valid which also
optionally checks domain validity. Which will take a little longer, but I'll
try to get an update back later this week

I'm not sure whether Zend want a "stop-gap" version or just the whole thing
put into the framework..

best wishes,
Simon