At silverorange, we've written a custom, database driven search engine
for our sites. It's called NateGoSearch and is available under the LGPL.
The documentation is not perfect (API documentation exists but no
tutorials or high-level documentation exists) but it does work for what
we need. See http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/search for an example of it
being used.

http://pear.silverorange.com/get/NateGoSearch-1.0.3.tgz
http://docs.silverorange.com/nategosearch/package-summary.html

I'm sure we could adjust the license if you want to use it in the Zend
Framework.

-Mike