-- Greg Neustaetter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
(on Tuesday, 27 March 2007, 08:14 AM -0700):
> The problem I see with an approach like this is that the view is tied very
> closely with the controller.  Should the controller have any idea about which
> javascript files need to be included on a particular page?  Finding a solution
> that minimizes the amount of common code that has to be placed in the view but
> still provides the view with the ability to inject javascript, css, page
> titles, meta tags, etc to header seems to be a problem I haven't seen answered
> well in any framework.  The template may include a couple javascript or css
> files by default in every page, but even then, the page may choose to remove
> the default files if it chooses.
>
> Thoughts?

A few.

One is to do something similar to how Zend_Controller_Action::render()
works, only with your css/js. So, in your sitewide template view script,
have some logic like this:

    <?php
    $request     = Zend_Controller_Front::getInstance()->getRequest();
    $module      = $request->getModuleName();
    $controller  = $request->getControllerName();
    ?>
    <head>
        <title><?= $this->escape($this->title) ?></title>
        <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/styles/site.css" />
        <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/styles/<?= $module ?>/<?=
$controller ?>.css" />

In this example, sitewide styles are kept under the /styles/ root in the
webroot, and then segregated by module and controller:

    /styles/
        news/
            list.css
            item.css
        blog/
            archive.css

In this way, you'd have some automation in how CSS (and you can extend
the idea to JS scripts, too) is injected into the page. The problem is
that you'd have to ensure that these files existed for each module and
controller -- which could lead to a ton of empty, unused files on your
machine.

Another approach is to use set view variables from within component
views. For example, if I have a view script for the NewsController, I
could do this:

    <?php
    $this->dynamic_header[] = '<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="/styles/news.css" />';
    ?>

Then, assuming the sitewide template uses the same view object, it now
has an additional header. This satisfies the requirement you had of
keeping this logic out of the controller and in the view. It's a bit
unwieldy, but it also solves the issue presented above of not needing to
create a CSS file for every controller.

I'm sure others have ideas as well.