JIRA is down at the moment...

I can confirm openSuse as a problem - I've been updated around the packaged
versions for some time otherwise my own names gets a few squawks of protest ;).
The level of compatility issues seems to indicate a problem with PHP
integrating with PCRE in some distributions. Some of the problem issues still
occur even if PCRE appears to be compiled with UTF-8 support (6.x at least).

Ubuntu seems perfectly fine. I compiled my own Fedora PHP so I don't know about
it's packaged versions. My own work.

This problem isn't going to vanish anytime soon - there's very little the
framework can do except shift down from Unicode against such issues. That
causes another problem in how to manage the inconsistency so
migrating/installing applications don't bork on the spot when using a simple
accented character. It might be useful to distinguish between Alnum for
ASCII/ISO and Alnum for Unicode/UTF-8 so a programmer can select which to use
themselves.

Regards,
Paddy

Pádraic Brady