I'm not aware of anything in Zend Framework that would require enabling,
to permit usage of global variables or superglobals like $_GET and
$_POST.

But it's not clear what usage of globals you mean.  Certainly the Zend
Framework components themselves should not make use of global variables.
So if there are any global that you need to use to specify ZF behavior,
you need to pass these variables as arguments to class methods.

Regards
Bill Karwin