My environment:
PHP 5.1.6
Zend Framework 1.0.3
Centos 5
Apache 2.2.3

Permission Issue:
I'm getting the "Operation not permitted" error when trying to open the
index directory.  I've created the index directory from the command line
using one user.  Then I'm trying to open the index directory using the
apache user from the web.  I get the error message when doing it that way.
If I access the php script that creates the index directory from the web
first, then I'm able to open the index fine (the owner is the same -
apache).  I want to create it from crontab once a day, so I don't want to
access it from the web to create it.  The file permissions is drwxr-xr-x for
the directory and -rw-rw-rw- for the files in the directory.  When I run it
from the command line, the owner is "jellin" and group is "users", but when
I run it from the web, the user and group are both apache.

>From what I've read in the documentation, all users should be able to read
the index, regardless of who created it (by default).  This seems to be
right from the permissions when the directories were created, however it
doesn't seem to work this way in practice.  I even tried to change owner and
group of the files created from the command line to "apache", but I still
got the same error message.  I can't figure out what the deal is, but it
seems to be some permission setting within one of the binary files that is
created.

Last bit of information, right now I'm creating the index directory in /tmp
for now.

Any help would be appreciated.