Thomas,

Thank you for such a quick and detailed reply to my question. I was
originally using the directory search with a constructor like this:

$translate = new Zend_Translate('[our custom adapter]', '/path_here', null,
array('scan' => Zend_Translate::LOCALE_FILENAME));

I had several translation files in a single directory:

en.txt
de.txt
zh_CN.txt
zh_TW.txt

en and de (and any other 2-letter language code) worked fine. But the
problem was that zh_CN and zh_TW were both getting saved under the key "zh".
When I tried to access the data like this...

if($translate->isAvailable('zh_CN'))

...it would be false. So then I changed to call addTranslation once for
every language like this...

$translate->addTranslation('/path_here/zh_CN.txt', 'zh_CN');

...then when I call isAvailable('zh_CN') it would be true. Is there a
different way to support both zh_CN and zh_TW?

Thanks,
Rob