On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I'd recommend building a model class with a public API you need for
> accessing your data store. This is more of a Domain Model, and a better
> locaion to put your data validation -- which you can do by integrating
> Zend_Filter_Input or Zend_Form into your model as well.

I am glad to hear Matthew say this about locating data validation in the
model because that's what I usually do. (-: I think the reasoning is, the
model's business is data and therefore it should know what is valid data.

You might say -- would you not ? -- that a model class might extend
Zend_Db_Table_Abstract or Zend_Db_Table_Row_Abstract, but not necessarily.
Lately my own practice is to extend both. I have e.g., a Things class and a
Thing class. The plural, for operations like batch inserts, locating rows.
The latter for data validation, updates, etc. I don't mind thus binding
myself to a db backend because that is the way this app is going to be.

--
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/

The subtle source is clear and bright
The tributary streams flow through the darkness