On 4/24/08, till <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> IMO, Zend_Registry offers a clean API that is what makes it maintainable.

How exactly is using the existing PHP $GLOBALS array unmaintainable?
There's already a suitable API for it, it's called PHP.

>  Some people do:
>
>  if (!isset($foo['bar'])) ...
>  if (!$foo['bar'])
>  if ($foo['bar'] !== null)
>
>  I guess there are more ways to check if "bar" exists in $foo and
>  offering a clean approach is an advantage for me, isRegistered is
>  exactly one.

No, it's not exactly one, it just adds _one more_ way to all the
existing ways.  It doesn't make the existing ways go away, they still
very much exist.

>  Let alone the other methods mentioned in the docs, such as access
>  methods (as object, as array).

There is absolutely nothing in Zend_Registry that can't be done with
smaller syntax and less overhead using just PHP arrays.  It's
pointless.

> Oh yeah, I guess you can search for everything like that. =)

There's no guessing to it, grep works great, and if the result list is
long then piping to another grep to reduce the results further is
always an option.  I use grep -v _all the time_.

>  I mean, point taken that works for a small app, I don't wanna skim
>  through the output of a larger one. But I guess that is totally up to
>  what you prefer.

Preference to less overhead shouldn't ever be a preference, it should
be job #1 on any developer's mind.  Less code, not more, faster code
not slower.  OO for the sake of OO is a waste of resources.

>  Yes, because they are already called components, and no because this
>  type of framework is called a glue framework.

The world already has a glue framework, it's called Perl.

--
Greg Donald
http://destiney.com/