I don't see why the Zend Framework should. It offers an implementation of a
web service API which in no way impacts the licensing of content (since
content is NOT distributed with the framework). As usual, if anyone uses a
web service to retrieve data it is their responsibility to be aware of that
data's restrictions whether they be copyrights, licenses or terms of usage.

Take another example. What if you use Zend_Feed to retrieve entries from my
blog? Is the Zend Framework responsible for informing you that all my
content is released under a Creative Commons 3.0 license? ;)

Of course not - that's your responsibility.

Best regards,
Paddy

Federico Cargnelutti-3 wrote:

> Hi Brad
>
> Yes, I was referring to the consumption of the Web service, the component
> itself is distributed under the new BSD licence. Some users might not know
> that Audioscrobbler does not allow the use of their Web service in
> commercial apps. A quote taken from their site:
>
> "If you are making a healthy profit from your site, and using this data to
> enhance the site, that sounds commercial. Any queries, just get in touch
> with us."
>
> I'm aware that Zend is not responsible for the use of any of the Zend
> Framework components, the user is. So, should ZF provide information to
> the
> user of the T&C, license and/or any restrictions imposed by a particular
> Web
> service? Or a simple link to the T&C page or license?
>

> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 1:09 PM, Bradley Holt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>> Federico,
>>
>> I was curious as to how one could legally license a web service (unless
>> it's through an API key that can only be obtained for non-commercial use)
>> as
>> a license does not make much sense for a web services API (a "terms of
>> use"
>> may make sense, not a license). So, I went and looked at the
>> Audioscrobbler
>> Web Services <http://www.audioscrobbler.net/data/webservices/> page and
>> it
>> looks like technically the Audioscrobbler *content* you retrieve through
>> the
>> web service is licensed under a Creative Commons
>> Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License, not the use of the web
>> service
>> itself. I know this probably sounds like a trivial point, but I think
>> it's
>> important. I haven't used Audioscrobbler, but I imagine anyone using the
>> Audioscrobbler API is an Audioscrobbler user who is aware that the
>> content
>> on Audioscrobbler is licensed under the Creative Commons
>> Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License (or at least that it's
>> copyrighted material) and that the API wouldn't give you any special
>> license
>> to this content that you wouldn't otherwise have. Perhaps someone who is
>> an
>> Audioscrobbler user can shed more light on this.
>>

>> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 4:37 AM, Federico Cargnelutti <
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > A quick question, visiting the Audioscrobbler's site, I found out that
>> > the Web service they provide is for non-commercial use only and it's
>> > distributed under the Creative Commons
>> Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike
>> > License. No, this is a bit confusing, people/companies using the
>> > Zend_Service_Audioscrobbler, for example, might be using their service
> [...]

-----
Pádraic Brady

http://blog.astrumfutura.com
http://www.patternsforphp.com
OpenID Europe Foundation - Irish Representative