From: Rishi Daryanani [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 13 May 2008 07:48
To: fw-general@lists.zend.com
Subject: [fw-general] Newbie question for significantly large project - a 'mix'
of Zend and my own coding?

Hi,

I have a pretty large online-store project ahead of me. I have the next 2
months to develop it and am starting now; I am confident I can finish this in
time with my 'old' coding style.

However, I have installed and gone through the 'getting started' tutorial of
Zend, and can see how useful and powerful the framework can be. However I can
also see that more complex tasks are (at the
moment) beyond me and I really need to spend a lot of time working with the
framework to understand how to implement different functionalities. For
example, I am only trying to learn now how to build a basic form and process
the data (using the MVC logic), I can't imagine when I will know how to connect
to a database, manage sessions and implement a complex Ajax-based products
detail page with shopping cart. So, from what I can see, Zend sounds so useful,
but I will probably have a significant learning curve if I want to build this
particular project under a framework, since frameworks in general are new to me.

Therefore, my question is this - can I "keep" Zend installed on my server, and
use its capabilities for the simpler tasks (e.g. building a form).. but at the
same time, I will include my own class file from the index.php file (this class
file will be a php file that has all the small functions that I've used over
the past few years and find useful for my projects).

Therefore, I will write some extra code in index.php to call my own class file
and generate an object,

include('../my_general_class_file.php');
$conn = new MyGeneralClassFile;

The $conn variable will therefore be available for my scripts, whether these
scripts will be developed in the way I'm used to (i.e. using php include files
that will be included via index.php) or if necessary the $conn variable will
also be able to be accessed as a global variable in the Zend class files that I
build in the future.

Does anyone have any comments on this or any recommendations? The point is, I
don't have the time to fully work on Zend for this particular project, yet I
want to "keep" Zend installed and ready so that I can use it for particular
tasks for learning, eventually using more and more of the framework as I become
more familiar with it.

Many thanks!

Be a better friend, newshound, and

allpay.net Limited, Fortis et Fides, Whitestone Business Park, Whitestone,
Hereford, HR1 3SE.

Registered in England No. 02933191. UK VAT Reg. No. 666 9148 88.

Telephone: 0870 243 3434, Fax: 0870 243 6041.

Website: www.allpay.net

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This email, and any files transmitted with it, is confidential and intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you
have received this email in error please notify the allpay.net Information
Security Manager at the number above.