Hi Joseph,

What I usually do is three fold:

1. Add is as the default adapter to Zend_Db_Table for use by all my Zend
based Models. This also acts as a Registry by the way, since you can call
Zend_Db_Table::getDefaultAdapter() anywhere.

2. Add it to a Registry as would be normal practice.

3. Possibly add it as a Front Controller parameter so you can retrieve it
from any controller action using that method.

Where possible I prefer 3, simply because I prefer to avoid as many static
calls in my controllers as possible. But a Registry works just fine so long
as you use it only as needed.

Paddy

Joseph Crawford wrote:

> In my index.php bootstrap file I setup the database connection into a
> variable $db.  Now I need to access this in other controllers.  This
> seems like a dumb question to me but do I need to global $db; before I
> can access it in the indexAction method of the controller or is it in
> the global scope by default?
>
> Thanks,
> Joseph Crawford

-----
Pádraic Brady

http://blog.astrumfutura.com
http://www.patternsforphp.com
OpenID Europe Foundation - Irish Representative