Jurriën Stutterheim wrote:

Zeev gave a very nice example of this at the Dutch PHP Conference
last saturday by comparing a Java Hello World to a PHP Hello World.
Just as a side note, what's the big difference here?

PHP:
<?= "Hello World!" ?>
<?php echo "Hello World!" ?>

JSP:
<%= "Hello World!" %>
<% out.println("Hello World!") %>

It was a J2EE example with an entire class dedicated to the Hello World. It probably wasn't a fair comparison, but it got the point of PHP being an easy language across.

PHP does not have a J2EE equivalent - e.g. it doesn't have aplication servers, container managed classes, application scope, etc. The comparison is not even unfair - they shouldn't be compared at all. JSP and PHP, on the other hand, have many similarities and JSP is as simple as PHP when it comes to hello world application.

Then again, J2EE is an old, bad mouthed thing of the past; JEE is a way to go
now.

And, Jurriën, you're perfectly aware that you can write complicated PHP OOP hello world as well, aren't you? :)

PHP has it's own identity which it should never lose. However, this doesn't mean it should stick to the old trusted ways and ignore modern developments in the programming world. To keep this identity PHP needs to innovate and learn from recent innovations and programming insights. It needs to keep evolving so it can keep its lead on the web and please both beginning and experienced programmers alike.
And like Python 3, it should drop backwards compatibility in favor of innovation and cleanup in my own humble opinion :)
vote++

But it's not gonna happen. So maybe we should not get our hopes up ;)

--
Michał Minicki aka Martel Valgoerad | [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
http://aie.pl/martel.asc