> I'm just trying to help explore your idea, not trying to shoot it down.

I never felt like you tried to shoot it down :-)

> In general, though, if you can solve a problem satisfactorily without
> writing
> any new code, that's better, isn't it?

Indeed.

> Yes, if multiple deprecation error types is a requirement, and cannot be
> satisfied simply with E_USER_NOTICE and establishing a convention for the
> deprecation notice message text, then perhaps a custom solution is needed.
> However, it's not clear that this is so important that it justifies a new
> component.  How many things are expected to become deprecated in ZF 2.0?
> Will the messages be so numerous to require special classes to report them?

Now that I come to think of it, probably no.

> You could also consider using Zend_Log for deprecation messages.  Create a
> Zend_Log object and store it in the Zend_Registry under a documented key,
> such as 'Zend_Deprecation_Log'.  Each class or method that needs to report
> deprecation would check the registry to see if that key exists and contains
> a Zend_Log object.  If so, use it.  If no such object exists, then be
> silent.  Zend_Log allows the developer to customize logging output,
> including filtering levels.  Also you can create custom logging levels for
> one or more deprecation levels.

Good idea!

You'd want a static method to do the above, so why not add it to Zend_Debug,
> which many folks have complained is a bit thin anyway.

Sounds reasonable.

Thanks for your input! I'm glad my announcement did at least start a
discussion about a reasonable way of showing the developer what is
deprecated. Your Zend_Log suggestion is the better idea!

Best regards,
Tobias