Rasmus Lerdorf had a new talk (froscon08) on framework performance in general
and vs using no framework at all and came up with ZF being roughly in the
mid-field (Cake being way slower, CodeIgniter being faster).

He also talked about some optimizing strategies regarding include path, and
the include strategy in general, so i took some time to optimize within the
Zend Framework and found interesting results: Stripping all require_once from
the complete Zend Framework code, and require (without once) all file
dependancies directly in your main script gives you a performance boost of
about 20-40% for each request.

See all the different include strategies and their numbers here:

http://www.whitewashing.de/blog/articles/73

If requiring all the dependant files up front is to hard to find out, you
could still optimize performance of the Zend Framework by fixing your include
path (put /usr/share/php in front of the dot, rather the default config which
work the other way round) and strip all require_once 'Zend/*'; code from
your downloaded ZF library source code.