Not so hard i think.
If i understud well, you should use $this->_forward at the end of you
action.
So lets say you have IndexController.php and in this controller you want to
use forward
<?php

class IndexController extends Zend_Controller_Action
{
public function indexAction()
        {
//there is some stuff you want to do
//and now you are calling your NavController
$this->_forward('menu','nav'); // where 'menu' stand for menuAction in
NavController and 'nav' is a NavController.php

Also you will like to setup in scripts/view/nav/menu.phtml and put in this
file whatever you want

then in you layout.phtml just call <?=$this->layout()->nav ?>

i hope this will work or help :)