From: Matthew Weier O'Phinney [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 12:10 PM
To: fw-general@lists.zend.com
Subject: Re: [fw-general] Why Dojo of All???

-- valugi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
(on Tuesday, 16 September 2008, 02:41 AM -0700):
> Since now I was also using jQuery and decided to give a try to Dojo since
> it's part of the ZF.
> Doing simple things like an ajax request and fill some data into a table
are
> incredible complex in Dojo.

I beg to differ here. dojo.data via Zend_Dojo_Data is two lines of code,
and the view script to handle it is approximately 10 lines of primarily
HTML using dojox.Grid.

> Also the vocabulary changes pretty much.

Which vocabulary? jquery vs Dojo? Of course -- they're different
frameworks. There will always be a learning curve when you switch
frameworks.

> I guess with all this complexity come a lot of other goodies... or
> maybe I am wrong.  But for now is experimenting time for me.

Dojo can be as simple or as complex as you want. However, there were
many reasons we chose to use Dojo; for more information, please see

    http://framework.zend.com/announcements/2008-09-03-dojo

for more details. Basically, when it comes down to all the points of
integration we wanted to be able to offer, Dojo was the only toolkit
that offerred benefits in all areas. The ability to have rapid modular
development, yet still have scalable approaches for production
environments, the breadth of offering in Dojo, the development process
and community surrounding Dojo, the support and driving of web
standards, etc. were simply unparalleled elsewhere.

The fact of the matter is this is "a done deal." But we're also saying
that we realize that choice in JS toolkits is similar to choice in PHP
frameworks -- and we are encouraging contributors to provide additional
layers via the Extras repository. A jQuery component is already well
underway, and checked in to the Extras incubator.

Let's stop these threads, please.

Software Architect       | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Zend Framework           | http://framework.zend.com/