Nothing quite like answering your own posts.

 I got this figured out; you need to create the directory structure where
the database file will land and give it the correct permissions. Neither the
directory structure nor the perms were in the tutorial.

 So now I have worked my way through the complete tutorial and I am left
with several questions.

 First, the QuickStart was less than 'turnkey'. If the intent was to lead
people by the hand through the whole process, it did not completely succeed.
There were several places where this was true:

 - Example code that did not say what file name (or file path) to place it
in.

 - Directory and permission issues like the SQLite database creation
challenge.

 - Did not mention that both PDO and PDO_SQLITE would be necessary.

 On the other hand, these omissions DID force me to dig into the
documentation and examine the traces to resolve my own problems. I learned a
lot more about ZF than I would have by simply copying code into files and
watching it magically work.  That said, had I not been the cantankerous sort
who refused to let a little demo code derail my attempts, I might well have
given up and written it off as incomplete or unusable.

 So the end result is that while I am convinced that ZF is a great product
and right for my needs, I am torn as to whether the QuickStart documentation
needs to be 'fixed' or whether it is exactly the right degree of 'broken'...

        -=[ Steve ]=-