Thank you very much for the reply Dan. For some reason using that method I am
unable to get the style to print to the browser.

I have used a quick fix like this, but if possible would like to do it the
way that you have said, so that I am doing everything the correct Zend way.
This is what I have now in the index.phtml layout page, which also calls the
header.phtml page.
<!--
<?php echo $this->escape($this->navActive); ?> {
     background: url(/images/menu-tab-bg.jpg) bottom left repeat-x;
    color: #5b5e56;
    display: block;
    padding: 0px 8px;
}
-->

I tried this

<?php $this->headStyle()->captureStart() ?>
<?php echo $this->view->navActive ?> {
     background: url(/images/menu-tab-bg.jpg) bottom left repeat-x;
    color: #5b5e56;
    display: block;
    padding: 0px 8px;
}
<?php $this->headStyle()->captureEnd() ?>

but nothing was output at all. Is there something there that I missed.
Thanks for all help. It is greatly appreciated.