Mary Nicole Hicks wrote:
> I currently have a form with validation, and no validation on the object I am
> saving. The problem I have is that I am looking at having many more forms.
> It would make more sense to me if this validation is done when the object is
> saved rather than on the forms.
>
> Can anyone give an example on how I can have the validation happen when I
> save the object, but display failed validations as the form does (Per form
> element)?

Just pasting old discussion. Hope that helps

-- Ionut Gabriel Stan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
(on Friday, 28 November 2008, 08:17 PM +0200):

> > Wouldn't be better a reversed relationship, i.e. a series of forms have
> > a setter setModel() and the whole validation
> > logic is inside the model (the place that I think is the most appropriate) ?
> >
> > Ralf said "And how do you handle different forms for the same model, say
> > the create
> >
> > form is different than the update form?"
> >

> > IMHO this is a case where validation should stay in the model and the
> > form would have access to the validators
> > in the model. Also, there is no need to duplicate a setForm() method or
> > add parameters to it.
> > I came to this conclusion after I realized that Zend_Form is just a very
> > specialized controller + view. The only thing
> > missing is the model.

It really depends on your point of view; I can see arguments for either
case. When I was developing Zend_Form, I made a conscious decision that
both Zend_Form and Zend_Form_Element would implement
Zend_Validate_Interface -- so that they could be used as
validation/filter chains for models. When you think of forms this way,
then what you're suggesting is still true: validation logic is inside
the model, and encapsulated in its own object.

I would argue that forms aren't really controllers -- they know nothing
about their environment, whereas a controller does. You must pass them
data to process. That said, I can see how the presence of decorators can
make this less obvious.

The other reason I'd argue against passing the model into the form is
for use with services. As an example, in the pastebin demo I referenced
earlier, I was able to expose my models as services very trivially in
large part due to the fact that validation was self-contained in the
models via the form objects. This is a great way to re-use and
re-purpose models for a variety of domains.