Well, using this script, no exception is thrown

<?php

require 'Zend/Date.php';

$expireTime = "01:30 AM";
$expireDate = "01/06/2009";

$date = new Zend_Date;
$date->setDate($expireDate);

?>

So maybe I'm not following you here, but it appears that stripping off
the complete setTime call results in no error.

But setTime() calls _time()

_time() gets to line 2706 where it creates a new instance of Zend_Date
and calls set($parsed['second']) which in my test is empty.

Function set() calls _calculate() with that empty value, and then
_calculate throws the "parameter $date must be set, null is not
allowed" message.

And therein lies the problem I think.

Ideas? Thanks,
Tim