Philip:

Names (especially if you're handling international characters) tend to
have a huge sub set of possible characters and users tend to get very
pissed off if you develop a pattern that blocks their legal name. My
advice to you, check if it's blank, make sure it isn't too long for
your database field, check it for injection attacks, store it and call
it a day.

- jake