Hi,
Maybe it helps someone:

I just updated ZF from 1.6 to 1.7.3 in a project.
With the change Zend_Cache_Backend_Memcache could not connect to the server
anymore (no error on connect, but on get(), set() etc.).
It seems to be caused by some new arguments that the ZF-class passes to PHP
Memcache's addServer(). And those were not compatible with the php memcache
extension I had installed (which was version 1.* from Debian's apt).
Pecl has the new 2.* version, which I installed, and now it works fine
again:

 pecl install memcache

Sincerely,
 Reto