Still not quite there.  I believe I may be using Zend_Filter_Input
incorrectly.  I made the changes to my $_validators array as described and
now it throws the following exception

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Zend_Loader_PluginLoader_Exception' with
message 'Plugin by name 1 was not found in the registry.'
Zend_Loader_PluginLoader->load('1')

Just for reference, when I print out the $_validators array that's passed to
my validation function, this is the result:

Array ( [field1] => Array ( [0] => Array ( [validator] => 1
[breakChainOnFailure] => 1 [options] => Array ( [0] => /[^a-z'-]/i ) ) ) )

So it looks as if it's taking the 'true' in either the validator value or
the breakchainonfailure value of the array and trying to load it.  I've
tried to script it in a few different ways and triple-checked that I have
the $_validators array set up correctly (testing with only the single field)
and get the same exception.