Matthew Weier O'Phinney-3 wrote:

>> I haven't been using PHP very long, so forgive me the silly question, but
>> what form would a queue processor take?  Is it a php script run as a
>> daemon?
>> Is there a way for Zend to kick it off if it isn't running already?
>
> Depends on the path you choose for the job queue, really. I've typically
> used cron to run my queue, but other options include having a daemon
> running in the background checking periodically for updates (and said
> daemon does not necessarily need to be written in PHP -- just needs to
> invoke your script that does the processing). Platform's Job Queue runs
> as a daemon, for instance.
>
> You _don't_ want your web application to trigger it, as you'll run into
> the exact situation you were having before.

Thanks Matt and A.J.  I have used unix / linux in the past, but not really
regularly - I never thought of using cron to kick things off, but I guess
thats the most obvious thing :)

Thanks for the tips guys - I'll figure something out.  It has been a nice
welcome to the mailing list!

All the best,
Ash