If you are using Zend_Auth, check out the following methods:

$auth = Zend_Auth::getInstance();

$auth->hasIdentity();

HasIdentity() will return true if you have once already authenticated the
user with $auth->authenticate(), and a proper adapter.

Zend_Auth by default uses Zend Session, so it should take care of the
problem for you.

-ralph

--
Ralph Schindler