Apologies, I didn't read that last bit before replying.  I would still use
the parameter array and add a 'layout' value - not sure what you mean by
'don't want to bother its code'.

In which case, you need to store the layout variable elsewhere.  How about
using FlashMessenger, which is designed to pass messages between actions and
will delete the message after it's been 'read'?  Or store it in the session
or registry, if you need more persistence.